Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Kilimanjaro Day 5: Ascent to Uhuru Peak, Descent to Mweka Gate


 It’s been over a year since I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro. I just traveled to Turks and Caicos, and while sitting on the beach, I had the opportunity to re-read Ernest Hemingway’s “Snows of Kilimanjaro”. While the story itself has very little to do with Kilimanjaro, it reminded me of my trip, and also that I never wrote about the final ascent and descent. I figured I should finally record my thoughts, before I write about another trip. Accordingly, what follows are my recollections of my ascent to the summit of the mountain, and the following descent.

9/14/2011

I had dinner at the end of Day 4 at Barafu, the “base camp” for most treks to Uhuru Peak, the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro. I ate around 8:30-ish in the evening, and finished around 9. I stayed up a little bit longer preparing for bed, writing, and getting ready mentally for what awaited later that night. After falling asleep around 9:30, Bryson woke me up a little before midnight. You see, when making the final ascent, you don’t wait until the next day; you start at midnight. This gives you the opportunity to be at the summit to watch the dawn… as long as you move fast enough. It’s supposed to be about a six hour trek, and dawn comes around 6:00am. 

I dressed, grabbed my pack and got ready to head off. Other groups around me were doing the same. Unlike the previous sections of trail, this one would be made just by myself and the guide. We would be coming back to Barafu afterwards, and meeting up with the rest of our crew for the descent. We started off somewhere in the middle of several large groups. It was completely dark, except for a little moonlight and the twinkling stars. The larger groups formed long chains going up the mountain, with their flashlights and headlamps lighting their way. They looked like long chains of miners from a distance, snaking their way up the slope. I tried to photograph them, but the lack of ambient light, combined with my own inexperience as a photographer prevented me from getting any good shots.

We moved quickly. We passed one group, and quickly got caught behind another one. On the one hand, I wanted to climb fast to make sure we were at the top before dawn, and to just get it over with. On the other hand, I didn’t want to ascend so quickly that I would get altitude sickness. We were moving from the 15239 ft of Barafu to the 19,341 ft of Uhuru, the largest ascent since the first day. Climbing that many feet between the hours of midnight and 6:00am would be difficult even if I was well rested. Instead I had about two hours of sleep. And the previous day had been the longest single day trek so far, one in which two days of trekking were done in one day. Needless to say, I was exhausted, and the exhaustion took its toll.

Nevertheless, we continued to pass other groups, until there were none left in front of us that we could see. I told myself that we moved faster because I was a Marine, so I was tougher and could move faster than the others. In actuality, it was probably more because there was only two of us, compared to the groups we passed. But in my pride, I asked for fewer stops to rest, and ignored my growing headache.

An hour passed, and then another. It was godawfully boring. The terrain was steep, much steeper than the previous days. At times it was practically sand, and for every two steps forward I took, the sand slid me back one step. There was no talking to Bryson, or gazing at the beautiful scenery to pass the time. It was just drudgery, moving forward in the darkness, all the time wondering how much further to go.

I passed the time any way I could think of. I had gone through a difficult break up in the first half of the year. I worked on a stanza in my head expressing my relief at leaving those feelings behind in New York when I left. It took me the better part of an hour, because my head was spinning, making it difficult to concentrate. It’s hard to remember it exactly, but it went something like this:

Goodbye dear friends,
I must now depart
I leave again
To make a new start
With hopefulness,
But sorrow in part
Goodbye Brooklyn Heights and broken heart.

Sometime around the fourth hour or so, the pain in my head was becoming unbearable. In the same way that I didn’t pack any sunscreen or lip balm, I also didn’t bring any altitude medicine, or even simple painkillers. My pace was slowing, and I was taking much more frequent “rest stops”. Bryson began to taunt me, “You want to turn back?” He was trying to push me, thinking I was considering giving up. “No,” I muttered through gritted teeth.

We came up behind another small group, a couple and their guide. I never figured out where they came from, because when we stopped next to them, I couldn’t focus enough to listen to their conversation with Bryson. They had either gotten an earlier start, or come from some adjoining trail.

I begrudgingly admitted that I was suffering from some altitude sickness. “You wouldn’t have any pills, would you?” I asked them.
“No altitude sickness medicine, but I think I have some ibuprofen if you want it.”
“Gladly. Thank you.” I shamelessly swallowed the couple pills she had, and we continued.

The headache eventually lessened, and after about another hour we reached Stella Point. This is the point where you can finally see into the crater of Kilimanjaro. It is my understanding that several different routes used to reach Uhuru join here and continue as one path to the very top. The remaining ascent was not much higher. Instead it consisted mostly of walking around the edge of the crater to the actual “peak.” The peak is not very pronounced, of course., since Kilimanjaro flattens out around its crater. When we reached Stella I was elated, because it felt like the end was in sight, even though we had about an hour to go.

This last hour was fairly pleasant though. The predawn sky began turning purple, and I could see the glacier of Kilimanjaro all around me in the distance. We weren’t walking on snow, just rocky ground, but off to the right and left on other parts of the mountain it was beautiful. As more light came into the sky, it reflected off the snow in an array of colors. We raced to the top, all exhaustion having disappeared with the excitement of the finish.
We were close to the first up that morning, but I remember at least one other trekker and guide from a different route already there as we arrived. Nevertheless, we beat the crowd, and made it just in time for dawn. It was gorgeous. I could see for hundreds of miles in all different directions. The sun slowly rose, and on one hand light began to shine on part of the land, and on the other hand it was still peaceful and dark. The sky was a brilliant canvas of colors. I took as many photos as I could, and tried to capture as much of the scene in my memory as possible. It was an amazing feeling, standing there at the roof of Africa, knowing that there was not a single person on the entire continent who was standing higher than I was at that moment.

Soon the crowds of other trekkers began arriving. Getting there early allowed me to take more photos in front of the sign marking the peak than people who got there later, and had to rotate with so many others. Even so, we only had about 15-20 minutes at the top, due to the cold temperature, altitude, and the long trek we still needed to make back. I took photos with a Teach For American shirt, since I had raised money for TFA as part of my climb, a Texas flag bandana with Willie Nelson’s signature printed on it, and finally I cracked open the bottle of Kilimanjaro Lager that I had carried with me the entire trek.

I was inspired to do this by a British man I met while climbing to the base camp of Mount Everest. In the cold, the beer had almost completely frozen, but there was just enough liquid to still drink some. The sight of me drinking the beer at the peak caused a minor stir. Everyone loved the idea, and wished they had done the same thing. People laughed and begged me to let them borrow the bottle for their own photos, so I hung out for a couple minutes and shared the prop. Eventually, though, Bryson got impatient, and we were both pretty cold, so I grabbed the bottle and we started back down.

While going up was a six-hour trek, coming back down to Barafu was only about a three-hour trek at most. The trail down is mostly within sight of the trail up, but off to the side by a couple hundred yards on average. It was also a lot more sandy, and we literally skied down the sand in many parts. It was not safe to say the least, and several times I almost busted. Fortunately, the couple times I stumbled, I managed to land on my butt.
west
The speed at which we “skied” and frankly ran down the trail ensured we got back to Barafu before 10:00am. I was on a high, having just gotten back from the summit. Bryson told me I could rest for a little while, and then we would start down.

The descent from Barafu is a two day descent. It takes you through the all the terrain types that I had already encountered, from the rocky mountaintop, through alpine desert, then rocky scrub-land, and finally lush forest. Along the way, treks stop at Mweka camp, about halfway, and then finally to Mweka gate at the bottom.

After about an hour and a half rest, and some breakfast, we started off. Bryson told me it was up to me how fast we did it, meaning I could do it in the normal two days, or push hard and finish in one day. I had been up since midnight, with about two hours of sleep, and had been trekking for approximately 9 hours at this point.
“How long is it until the bottom?” I asked.
“About three or four hours,” he replied.
I decided to push it, and finish it that day. It was Day 5 of the normally six or seven day route. I don’t know whether I was out of my senses because of exhaustion, or overconfidence from being so close, or because I hadn’t been in contact with the girl I had recently become smitten with for a couple days. But I had done it. I had conquered the largest freestanding mountain in the world.

Epilogue:
The descent itself was fairly uneventful. Bryson told me I would start off with Saidi and he would catch up with me later. I didn’t see him until more than half way down, and still continued on with just Saidi, who didn’t speak English. Bryson met up with us and discussed with me a fair tip for himself and the others at Mweka Camp. I also ran into some middle-aged Texan men, who were there with their mother. She had just finished the more difficult Lemosho Route. She was doing it in anticipation of her upcoming 60-year college reunion at Texas Woman’s University. It was kind of incredible.

I don’t know whether there was a miscommunication or what, but it did not take three to four hours. That’s how long it took to get to Mweka Camp. To get to Mweka gate was an additional three hours or so. Maybe Bryson meant that the normal day’s trek was only three to four hours. Or maybe he just wanted to get down himself. The sun was getting low in the sky by the time we reached Mweka Gate. Thabit met us there with a car, and made sure that I was ok.
“Bryson didn’t make you come down today, did he?” Thabit asked.
“No, no, it was my decision.”
I stayed in Moshi that night, in the same hotel that I stayed in before the trek. My lips was so burnt, dry and cracked that they were bleeding. My skin was red from the sun. Everything hurt. But it was worth it.

In the following days, I began my safari.

No comments:

Post a Comment